Vacations are usually relaxing and a great way to recenter yourself, but I find that the re-adjustment time after a trip is stressful because we fall out of our routines so much. To combat this issue, here is what I have been doing while traveling so that coming back home after a great trip is not too difficult:
- Always stay hydrated – This is very important. Always have a reusable water bottle in your bag and refill it whenever possible. You never know how your day is going to go and overall your body will thank you!
- Have healthy non-perishable snacks on hand – Similar to always having water on hand, having snacks that don’t need to be refrigerated like granola bars, nuts, and dried fruit means that you won’t have to eat any processed food (like at the airport) if you don’t want to. Honestly, from security to the gate at the airport we pass several overpriced fast food restaurants. Bringing snacks helps me save money and save the unhealthy eating for the actual trip. I am a tea junkie too – so I always have a few bags of my favorite tea in my bag to sip on when I get to the hotel.
- Buy travel sized versions of your go-to beauty products – When I was a teen I would go on trips and rely on the hotel amenities and it would reek havoc on my skin. Now that I know better, I either buy travel sized versions of my favorite products or fill up a TSA approved container before I hit the road. I always bring my own facial cleanser, mask, toner, lotion, body wash, hair moisturizer, and body oil. This usually covers it for me but everyone should adjust as needed.
- Try to exercise in your hotel room – While doing 2 hour workouts at 6 am on vacation is a little much for me, I like to pack gliders and arm/ankle bands in my bag so I can ensure I get some movement in. I love to bring these items on trips because they are light weight and don’t require much space to use. If you are going on a more leisurely vacation, I recommend at least 30 mins of exercise. If you are doing more physical activity during the day, only stretching or doing yoga is great.
- Pack your vitamins – This will have you feeling your best while you are on vacation and after you get back. I usually carry my women’s multivitamin and some Vital Proteins Collagen Powder packets to mix in my hot beverages.
- Bring wet wipes and hand sanitizer – Since we come in contact with different surfaces all the time, having these handy is helpful when a public restroom is not available. Keep your wet wipes and hand sanitizer in your bag to clean your hands before eating any street food or when you sit down to have lunch at a local spot. This will keep germs at bay so you don’t get sick on or after your trip.
- Get sleep – My rule is try to get a full night of sleep the day/night before your flight to and from your vacation. If you are taking a red eye, try to be as relaxed as possible so you actually sleep on the plane. It is not fun spending the first few days of your vacation exhausted so this helps tremendously in my experience.
Required: Let loose and have fun! – Staying healthy is ideal, but vacations are supposed to be a time to laugh and create new memories. Don’t worry too much about keeping up with your established routine and enjoy the moment!